Anthony Gordon dismisses Liverpool and Arsenal transfer rumours after Champions League heroics for Newcastle.
ArsenalTalks Transfer Report | February 19, 2026
Anthony Gordon has publicly shut down speculation linking him with blockbuster summer transfer moves to Arsenal and Liverpool, branding the reports “a load of rubbish” and insisting his full focus remains on helping Newcastle United finish the season strongly.
The England international delivered a sensational performance on Wednesday night, scoring four first-half goals as Newcastle demolished Qarabag 6–1 in the first leg of their Champions League knockout play-off. The 24-year-old collected both the match ball and the man-of-the-match award, taking his season tally to 14 goals and five assists in 36 appearances across all competitions.
Speaking to Chronicle Live after the match, Gordon laughed off fresh reports linking him with a £95 million summer move to Liverpool or Arsenal.
“About me? I haven’t seen them. What are they saying?” he said.
When told of the links, he added:
“It’s the same old, same old. I think they just pick names out of a hat. They do. I haven’t heard anything — they might want to tell me before they tell you [the media].”
Newcastle placed a £95 million valuation on the former Everton winger, who signed a new long-term contract until 2029 last October. Reports earlier this week suggested the Magpies would demand that figure if any club attempted to prise him away this summer.
“I Want to Be a Newcastle Legend”
Gordon made his stance even clearer when asked directly about his future.
“Of course [I want to stay and become a Newcastle legend],” he said.
“I have gone through enough transfer stuff now to know that it is all a load of rubbish.
“I am focused on me and focused on the team, I am focused on right now. You look too far in the future and you start to underperform. And believe me, I have done that and I am not going to do that now.”
Despite scoring four goals, Gordon revealed he was not fully satisfied with his performance — a reflection of his mentality and standards.
“Yeah, I should have scored more — I should have had six goals,” he admitted.
>“I missed two chances that I should score. I am always looking for more. I scored four but I am that type of person, I am not fully happy with what I have achieved. It should have been six — maybe next time.”
Newcastle now hold a commanding advantage heading into the second leg at St James’ Park, but Gordon was quick to shut down any suggestion of complacency.
“A tie is never dead — even at 6–1,” he said.
“We have all watched football enough, anything can happen. They are a great team, they have a lot of quality. But we have our mentality and we look forward to the next leg.”
With Newcastle competing across the Premier League, FA Cup, and Champions League, Gordon’s form has come at a perfect time. His performances have also strengthened his case for a central role in England’s plans ahead of this summer’s World Cup in the United States, Canada, and Mexico.
ArsenalTalks Analysis
This was not a PR line. It was a statement.
Gordon didn’t hedge, stall, or deflect — he dismissed the speculation outright. At a time when transfer rumours often dominate narratives, his message was simple: performance first, future later.
For Arsenal and Liverpool, the reality is clear. Any move would require a massive fee, Newcastle’s approval, and Gordon’s willingness — and right now, none of those conditions appear close to aligning.
For Newcastle, the message to supporters is stronger:
🔥 Trending News
Their star winger isn’t distracted.
He isn’t negotiating.
He isn’t looking around.
He’s focused on football — and winning.
Want more Arsenal updates? Visit our homepage.






GIPHY App Key not set. Please check settings